Thursday, July 17, 2008

Pickens Plan, CNG, Hybrids... The answer may be blowing in the wind.

So I gotta say I'm pleased to see the ideas coming out of Texas. Generally not something you'd expect to hear coming from a self-proclaimed Social-Democrat. T. Boone Pickens plan to reduce America's narcissistic addiction to oil is a great example of the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that these sad (economically speaking) times should produce from successful people. The beautiful thing to me is the bi-partisan appeal of plan, who can say "I enjoy coal-fire power plants, soot, destroying the environment, and not creating thousands of high-paying jobs." I wont summarize his ideas, by simply watching the 5 minute video on the Pickens Plan website you can figure it out on your own.

It got me thinking, which gets me reading, which seems to not be popular at all.

So his plan calls for using Compressed Natural Gas or CNG to power 20% of our vehicles. While reading a few reviews of people in this country and others (it seems Argentina has quite a love affair w/ CNG powered automobiles) I realized the versatility and advantages of a Natural Gas Vehicle. Similar mileage exists for most passenger cars, with reduced emissions, and a much much lower cost. Its also cleaner burning, which lends one to believe you could operate the vehicle for a longer period of time, this however I was unable to prove. The cost is about $1.40- $2.75 a "gallon." So...

If mileage is similar, conversion is simple (and relatively inexpensive depending on vehicle make/model), and power isn't sacrificed, why haven't we tried this? Where is Detroit? What if you applied it to a Hybrid? If the numbers work out (55mpg , $2.50/gallon, 180mi. trip) could I get from Carolina Beach to Charlotte for less than $10.00 in fuel? Thats not just great, thats amazing. Why has it taken us all this time to figure this out? I am really sick of lobbyists right now.

So CNG aside I think the real story is the wind, we need to utilize this new technology and harness the wind for our power... and our purchasing power. This industry would create thousands of jobs, which, are hard to come by these days. I don't need to tell you that.

Anyway, it was a nice day on Pleasure Island, hot as hell, but nice, I drove my car for the first time in a few days, and she is running fine. Gotta love the Huffy for taking me almost everywhere I need to go. Riding on 26's, ya' heard.

So who wants to sponsor me? I want to convert a Prius to CNG and honk the horn as I pass every gas station.

Ok I'll sweeten the pot. You not only get to sponsor me, you also get to put an Ad wrap on the vehicle.

Just an idea, from me.

Holla' atcha boy.

No comments: